Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Back here

Mar 21, 2022

I took a long walk to Lalbagh yesterday. But people run 21kms three times a week. (This I know from the latest challenge I've taken up!) 

Google Maps indicated it was exactly 8KM from where I stayed, which fit the precise conditions of the Bikat Challenge. I wore my boots and set out with a bottle of water. Google led me through random side streets whose residents were waking up, perhaps to my clip-clop stride. Some early risers looked up mid way through brushing their teeth, as I marched on a mission. The narrowing mud road, the odd stares from the guys cleaning their trucks, brought home the warnings on the google maps on the unreliability of the route. I turned around, undeterred, re-traced my steps all the way and took a less crazy road (for the time being).

The less crazy roads are the ones which are the main street - for people and dogs and garbage. With my new found courage around dogs, and a soft corner for people, I braced myself for the assault on my olfactory senses. I veered on a wider road without consulting the maps and added another kilometer to my itinerary. I was joined by some herding cattle along the narrow turns for a bit of a thrill and soon I joined early morning traffic on the high profile "Ring-road".

The next good stretch was next to BMS women's college, barring the brief crossing on bull temple road and soon enough I passed Bugle Rock and eased into lanes lined with well aged trees and their drooping boughs laden with spring flowers. I found myself walking along the surprisingly calm junction around Krishna Rao park and the street I had never walked on that led nicely to Lalbagh. Even with enough people around, it didn't seem too crowded and I ventured in, at the cost of 30 bucks and sunk into the first empty bench facing the lake.

10 KMs said my app, sweat soaked, sore feet, hair tied uncaringly into a bun, was worth it. The place was calm and cloudy, my mind was more the latter than former. I let myself feel the gravity of all of this. Eventually, I ended up meditating. 

So here are a few pics from the walk.






(P.S. I've been on so many walks in UK. I never felt like I had to put up a post anywhere. I could casually share things with people I know would appreciate it. Alas.)

2 comments: